Done!

On Monday evening I finished Ava’s flower girl dress.

On Tuesday, I attempted to visit a fabric shop to load up on fall fabrics for some Emma dresses.  Sewing comes in streaks for me – I’ll get really excited and whip out a couple projects, then let the rest of my fabric remain neatly stacked in its cubby for months.  It’s a good thing the fabric store wasn’t open yet, because I really should whittle down that stack first!

When I tried the dress on Emma a few days earlier, I realized it was going to be way too long for Ava, so I removed the bottom tier of fabric and rehemmed.  Other than that, the dress went together fairly easily.  I suppose it helped that I made a “practice dress” earlier this summer with a shorter length and floral fabric.

Alison was trying to decide how to do Ava’s hair for the big day, possibly incorporating some extra satin as a headband.  I showed her some satin flowers that I had made with my cousins (Lesli and Maggi) and my siblings (Michael and Mallory) about a month ago.  She thought it would be perfect, so I made one for Ava with leftover ivory satin.

The instructions I followed came from Make It and Love It – where else?!?  I love her blog and craftiness!

Here is my shortened version:

  1. Cut out some concentric circles of satin.  
  2. Burn the edges of the satin with a lighter to keep them from fraying.  I kept a bowl of water nearby because I am terrified of fire.  I also let Michael do most of my flame work when we did these together.
  3. You can also run the flame around the inside of the satin circle a bit to make it curve inward.
  4. After sealing the edges of each circle, use a hot glue gun to affix the layers together.
  5. Place a dab of hot glue into the center of the smallest circle and press some beads into the glue.
  6. Cut a piece of ribbon to put between the two arms of an alligator clip.  Glue it to the back of the flower.  (Or you could use a headband, or a pin, or sew it to an elastic band, etc.)
  7. Viola!  A floral accessory.

Here is Ava’s hair flower:

And here is Emma wearing a red one we made in August:

Comments

  1. Maggi made a head band and the flower is still on with hot glue.